Thursday, September 20, 2012

Beauty review Maybelline 10 hour stain gloss in Refreshingly Red



Model wearing Refreshingly Red
I am constantly on the hunt for "the" lipstick. You know the kind,  one that is timeless, luxurious and also au courant. Wait... did I forget to mention cheap? So that makes me unable to resist dollar store deals that look velvety red in the tube but feel like sealing wax on my lips. I probably have tried hundreds in my 29 years. You think I would learn. Nope.

But every now and then I am also enticed by actual brands of makeup. Usually in the drug store, possibly late at night. And fortunately rarely over 10 dollars a pop.

I was in Bed Bath and Beyond yesterday morning getting a lavender sachet for my rice filled boot stands (post to come) and I was sucked into the make up section.  I decided I deserved a treat, and before I knew I I had 5 different kinds of lipstick in my hand. The one I chose was Maybeline 10 Hour Stain Gloss in Refreshingly Red.

When I got home I immediately tore it out of its package and smeared it on my lips. This is how I feel about it today....

1) The red really is very pretty. In truth it's one of the best reds I have found.  And because it is a stain it isn't too lipstick-y. (Though there is a time and place for that) I give it....
5 out of 5 smooches for color
2)  It is not as the package claims "10 hour". Though it is quite a long lasting stain, don't think you are going to make it through dinner with your ruby pout.  Reapplication is necessary especially after meals, which is the same for most lipsticks.  But it does have a tendency to stay on the outer lips far longer. Making it .... awkward.  I woke up this morning looking like I had lip liner tattoo.

3 out of five smooches for staying power

3) The application of this stuff was crazy terrible. It has a stick applicator which is usually OK, especially for stains because it gives you more control. Not so this Maybelline! Using this was like using a fuzzy stick dipped in a paint bucket. The consistency was to thin for the applicator and tube, and as a result it got all over! Despite the fact that I was very careful it ended getting on the table, on my planner, on my dog, and if I hadn't noticed that it had smeared on the outside of the applicator I would have also gotten it on the inside of my new bag! Arg!!! This is not something I could put in my clutch or pocket for an evening out. Too messy!
1 out of 5 smooches for usability

Would I recomend this lipstick to you? Um...no. Don't bother. This will just be one that ends up in the bottom of your makeup bag until it explodes and gets all over your stuff and you wont ever be able to get it out. 

So what is your favorite lipstick? Will it be your signature color forever? Or just the flavor of he moment? I would love to hear suggestions...

Right now mine is Fran Wilson's Mood Matched in Red. Big surprise that it was 2.99 at CVS right? It's not my forever color though. That is still TBD.

Till next time!

1 comment:

  1. I tried this exact lipstick- like you I loved the color, but hated the applicator! It looked like a miniature toilet bowl cleaner to me...gross I know, but it is what I think of every time I use it. One of my favorite lip colors to date is Cover Girl's Outlast Lipstain. It is like coloring your lips with a marker...no gunk or wax feeling. It stains the lips well and you only need a clear of nude gloss over it.

    ReplyDelete